Add an Image to a POI
Table of contents
- There are 2 methods to add a picture to a POI
- Method 1: Add a picture to a POI directly
- Method 2: You can add a picture to a POI when you create route
- How to copy the URL of the Image
- Provide the Source
- Get the URL of a picture from Picasa
- Method 1 (recommended): You can link a picture to a POI (independent of a route) from your H-disk or via an URL. Using the POI-Push (read more about it here), you can add POIs to a route. We recommend using this method.
- Method 2: You can add a picture to a POI when you create route. We recommend using method 1 because you have many more options.
- Search your POI (read here how to do this)
- If you don't have any info yet linked to that POI, click on (2) (see figure above) to add your info to the location. You get to the POI-edit page, where you can add text, pictures, video,...
- If you have alread a text linked to the POI but not yet a picture, click on (3) (see figure above) to edit your info. You get to the POI-edit page, where you can add text, pictures, video,...
Once you added your picture, and you go back to the main location page, you don't see your picture yet due to caching. You will see it withing 48 hours. To see what is stored in the database (the non-cached info) click on (1) (see image above).
- Go to the RoutePlanner (via Make/Route)
- Select in the left column the option "More options"
- Select "Create Points of Interest"
- Click on the map to create a POI
- There you can add the URL (no upload from your PC possible: use method 1 for that)
- Go with the mouse to an image on a website.
- Click right mouse button.
- Go to properties.
- You get the properties-window. Indicate with your mouse the entire URL next to address(URL) (starts with http:// and ends with .jpg).
- Click on right mouse button and select "Copy".
- Go with the mouse to the form field of the POI form with "URL" next to it, and click on it to locate the cursor in that form field.
- Top left of your browser has a menu item "Edit". Select it and then choose "Paste".
- Now save and you're done.
If the picture is not yours, you have to enter the source you got it from. The source can be either a name or a URL from the sources website.
Picasa has a specific method to provide you the URL of a picture.
- Log in on Picasa
- Go to one of YOUR pictures
- To the right of the picture, you get a few options. Do NOT select Link, but DO select Embed image
- Select the option Image Only (no link)
- Below Embed image, you can select the URL to copy
- It is best to adapt the resolution: Seelct MEDIUM 400 (or more)
The result is a URL of the form http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jkIfO7IHGAg/SryUoFFkvKI/AAAAAAAAOaA/U7PFp_5WGdA/s144/08_GRE_Nemea_2009_Sept_07.jpg