Route types and Route Subtypes
Four types on the highest level
The following types for routes are recognized:
- BIKE (Cycle route)
- WALK (Walking and Hiking route)
- MOTOR (Car and Motorcycle route)
- OTHER (Other Route Types)
You can search for this type of routes via the search.
You can link more information to route via groups (read more about linking groups to routes)
Per type, it is possible to enter sub-types.
Walking and hiking route
- Hiking (=more sportive type of walk)
- Nordic walking
- Recreational walking
- Rock climbing
- Snowshoe walking
- Racebike cycling
- Recreational cycling
Car and motorcycle route
- Recreational touring
- Off-road motorbiking
Other route types
- Ice skates
- Inline skates
- Alpine ski
- Cross country ski
How to indicate the subtypes
The only way to indicate the subtype of a route is:
- [help]Edit your route[/help]
- On the Edit page of you route, you will see subtabs: select the Subtab "Description"
- There you can indicate the Route subtype
- Don't forget to confirm
For the moment we recommend you to use the alternative for subtypes: groups
The alternative for subtypes for the moment is to attach characteristics to your route. The advantage of using groups is that you can attach multiple characteritics to a route: e.g. a cycling route can also be suitable for inline skating and jogging. That's not possible in the hierarchical Type and sub-type structure.
Why using this and why not subtypes?
- Because the search uses already the characteristics and not yet subtypes(read more here)
- Because we didn't fully integrate the subtype principle yet (see below) and that will still take some time.
- For the moment you don't have any functional direct benefit (unless we did a specific engineering project with you) to make use of these subtypes
Where do I see the subtypes?
As mentioned, the subtypes are not yet fully integrated so far, but we will do this in the future.
So what can you expect?
- We will indicate the subtype of a route by means of slightly different icons
- We will extend the search with an option to finetune your search based on subtypes
- You will be able to enter your type and subtype when you submit a route in the RoutePlanner
- Also all our widgets and web services will be able to deal with the subtypes
What will happen with the characteristics?
When we switch completely, we will automatically translate the characteristic groups to subtypes where possible. These characteristic groups which have a subtype substitute will disappear in time. So you will not have to do any work. And we will inform you wehn we change this by mail.