Royalty-free - What can I do?
Table of contents
- What is a "Royalty Free" product on RouteYou
If a download on RouteYou states that it is a Royalty-free product (or that you have the right to use it Royalty-free) then you can print and duplicate that product uncut. And you can do so in the original form or in a modified form.
In other words, you can make your own brochures, incorporate cards into a book,.... and distribute it without restriction. You can even offer it for sale!
Please note! You do need to have the rights to all the content in the routes (POIs, photos, texts). If that is your texts, pictures and route it is no problem. If it is not your data you need to make sure that it is allowed (see copyright of the info).
Attention! The "royalty free use" should be explicitly mentioned. You will see that it is NOT mentioned with the topo maps of Belgium. You are not allowed to offer these free of royalties either!
The royalty-free portion only applies to the service that RouteYou offers to present the data.
You do need to keep mentioning the explicit copyright of sources (e.g. map from OpenStreetmap, powered by RouteYou...).
- Your tourism office has created a route and wants to offer it as a guide (read more about the guide) in your municipality
- Case A: You want to offer it free of charge in hundreds of copies to visitors and residents
- Case B: You want to offer it for x euros in the tourist offices
- You are a publisher of a magazine, newspaper or book.
- In your publication, you want to publish the route you created on RouteYou with a map.
- This is not allowed with a standard Google Maps map (although technically you could easily do that), due to copyright restrictions
- As a publisher, you have no idea yet whether you will sell 100, 1000 or 10 000 items of your edition: This product is a solution to that problem. RouteYou made an agreement with the map supplier to buy off these restrictions around Royalty with a fixed amount. You pay this amount once and you can use that card with your route unlimited.
- Your organization organizes an event that is linked to a cycle route, walk, ...
- You want to offer the participants a booklet or flyer with the route in it. You want to offer this flyer or booklet for free or pay for it (the choice is yours).
- Buy the RouteYou Royalty-Free Route Map of your route and place it in your flyer/booklet.
- This product covers the copyright issue (Note! Not the copyright of the route. So you are not allowed to do this with someone else's route unless it is royalty free).